Phoenix FM video streams its audio and webcam video 24 hours a day.
The computer that controls this is the EMAIL PC
The software we're going to use is OBS STUDIO
The host site we're going to use is MIXCLOUD LIVE
The following is a list of rules on how this will operate, followed by some information about how to use OBS Studio and Mixcloud Live.
- We will be video streaming all the time. Presenters must not switch off OBS or log out of Mixcloud Live.
- You're welcome to set up your own scenes in OBS but please do NOT change any of the scenes that other people have set up.
- You do not have to have live video streaming when you are on air. If you don't want to appear on the webcam, go to OBS and choose "NO VIDEO" under Scenes. Do not move the webcams.
- Phoenix FM is licensed to stream music online. However many sites such as Facebook, Twitch and YouTube do not recognise our licences and will mute live streams if they recognise copyrighted music in them. In some cases they may close your account. Furthermore we are in breach of the terms of conditions of these sites even if you use your personal accounts to video stream your shows on them. So under no circumstances should you use any site other than Mixcloud Live for video streaming.
- Please don't connect your own equipment to the desk for video streaming - use the computers, webcams and software provided.
- Remember that we are a radio station broadcasting mostly to listeners on FM. It's OK to mention the live stream and the chatroom, and comments that people are leaving you. But PLEASE don't constantly talk about the video and chatroom - it does not make good radio. You must be conscious that most of your listeners are not interacting with you, and that you should not make your show sound like an online show where the only people listening are the ones you can see in the chatroom.
OBS Studio is a free piece of software which allows you to stream audio and video and create "scenes". These are screen configurations which show webcam video, text and graphics. You can change these during your show and create your own.
A number of default scenes have been set up. You can switch these during your show.
If you want to learn how to make your own "scene" for your own show, have a look at this tutorial which is very comprehensive and easy to follow (you might need to slow him down though!)